29 April, 2010

Finally...spring is in the air

After a period of 70 degree, sun-filled days, the weather has started to revert back to the typical mid-50s, clouds and occasional drizzle.  It was nice while it lasted, but it comes just in time for me to throw all my stuff into suitcases and jump on a plane headed for the States.

I've wrapped up three of four exams, with only Classical Music in London keeping me from a few extra days in London before I depart!

In the mean time, here are a few places that I will miss most when back in the States:

Considering all the time I've spent in/around "Little Lebanon" these past few months, I have eaten an embarrassingly small amount of Lebanese/Indian/Iraqi/Kurdish food.  That said, I can recommend Maroush for some good Lebanese.  Having ordered takeaway lunch there a few times, it is straight-forward and pretty good value for money.  If you don't fancy heading to the heart of "Little Lebanon" to get your falafel fix (which I highly recommend), rest assured, there are a bunch of them scattered around central London.

The Natural Kitchen is a good option if you are looking for gourmet-type food, but still want the convenience of takeaway.  It tries (and pretty much succeeds) to be an upscale "Purveyor of Fine Foods,"  but if you can get passed the pretentious exterior, you won't be disappointed.  It's located right off Old Marylebone road in a nice area with loads of restaurants, cafes, sidewalks wide enough to pass someone without getting flattened (Italy take note) and a typical assortment of soccer mom stores (designer baby clothing, over-priced towels, blah blah).  Needless to say the area isn't good for much unless you plan to eat or take a walk, however, given its close proximity to Regent's Park, it's a great place to pickup some food for a picnic.

Pret A Manger is by-far my favorite fast food restaurant in London.  I say fast food because it is actually more ubiquitous than McDonald's, just as quick and if you get the right sandwich, about the same money.  Think Panera quality, faster than Taco Bell and always-changing, fresh sandwiches.  I'm a fan. The concept is genius: Walk in, pick out your sandwich from the fridge, add some crisps/cookies/drink and pay. No custom orders, that would take time.  It's simple, inexpensive and satisfying.

The Barbican is one of the biggest venues in London, they host everything from musical theatre productions, to lectures on UK foreign policy, to the London Symphony.  Near Victoria Park, the central location means it's no more than a 20-30 minute Tube ride from Regent's, Edgware Road or Westminster Abbey.  I've been fortunate enough to see the London Symphony, London Philharmonic and BBC Symphony Orchestra on several occasions and they are all worth seeing.  

Regent's Park is really something special.  It isn't everyday you can say you go to university in a Royal Park.  Now that the flowers have started to bloom and the ivy on the Tuke Building is starting to come out, it is nicer than ever.  I pity anyone with allergies as we are quite literally dropped right into a garden, surrounded by more flowers than one can wrap their head around, grass that most golf courses would envy and enough people at any given time that you will (almost) want to leave.

With that said, I was shocked to discover the little money-making operation the Queen has set up in her park.

Who wouldn't want to sit in those?


Whenever the sun comes out, comfy chairs appear out of nowhere and get scattered around various areas throughout the park.  Naturally, I walked up (not noticing the big green sign, of course) and plopped down into one.  A few moments later, a man came up to me asking for £1.50! What?! $2.30 to sit in a chair for an hour? I almost hated the Queen..just for a second, then I realized there were perfectly good (free) benches ten feet away. 



No comments:

Post a Comment